21.12.06

Turn to face the strange...: podcast #5


...Ch-ch-changes ahoy. As I sit here with a KitKat I wonder how to start. From today, You Can Call Me Betty is going podcast-only, so no longer will I be continuing with posting mp3s etc. I've come to the conclusion that actually I don't really have time to do this as well as I'd like, evidenced by the sparse posting patterns of the last few weeks. I have other things which occupy my time, so I'll be concentrating on writing reviews at NoRipcord and Don't Worry About The Government (when Tom pulls his finger out), and creating a better breed of podsafe, new-music-tastic podcasts for your listening enjoyment. You will find the podcasts posted here and, for a while at least, at yccmb.blogspot.com
I've very much enjoyed writing though, and hope to invest as much into the podcasts as I have into the blog, not least of which is some stonkingly ace music, as always. You should be able to tell that by the tracklisting below, so have a listen, then see ya later alligator.

So: blame work, blame having a life and stuff, but as you know it, this is the end of You Can Call Me Betty.

Ta ta!

The Music
Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye


Podcast # 5: Chrimbo Dinbo





1) Absentee - We Should Never Have Children (from Schmotime, Memphis Industries, streamable from Absenteemusic.co.uk)
2) Kristin Hersh - Sno-Cat (from The Grotto, 4AD, download at throwingmusic.com)
3) Adem - These Are Your Friends (from Homesongs, Domino, stream at Domino Records)
4) Herbert - Moving Like A Train (from Scale, !K7, stream at matthewherbert.com)
5) TV On The Radio - Province (from Return To Cookie Mountain, 4AD, stream on MySpace)
6) Daedelus - Viva Vida (from Denies The Days Demise, Ninja Tune, stream on MySpace)
7) Harvey Girls vs. Feedle - Hazy Heat (Victor Scott remix) (SVC Records, download from victorscott.ca)
8) Max Tundra - Labial (from Mastered By Guy At The Exchange, Domino, stream on MySpace)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, this is kind of sad, but you've got to do what's right for you, don't you? i for one have always enjoyed your stonkingly good song choices and clever writing, and i wish you all the best.

i hope you'll still contribute to the cp from time to time?

coxon le woof said...

Sorry to see you go!

Always enjoyed my visits here but alas sometimes real life has to catch up.

Thanks for the music and recommendations - I look forward to the podcasts!

The Daily Growl said...

Oh Simone! What a darn shame. I will miss my regular visits to YCCMB. All the best with all you're doing and I'll definitely be looking our for the podcasts...

Anonymous said...

thanks for all the tunes, Simone...i'll miss Betty.

what's a podcast?

Colin said...

So, that PhD thesis on Radiohead is underway!? ;)

Good luck in all you do S and I'll listen to the podcasts (I know what they are).

Indie-Go! said...

hey there.i would just like to know(and reply to my blog somehow) how did you knew about the singer DAvid fonseca?since i could found songs songs on the hype machine website coz u postede on this blog here.cheers:)

Unknown said...

don't know how else to say this... but i've been listening to can since 14 (24 now) and i finally made something i think is good

enough. and i figured you might dig it.

it's here: http://tago-mago.net/music.htm

remixes of the streets, marvin gaye, mos def, b-52's, cocteau twins, more

hope you like it

-----------

The "Eardrums shall fail" blog said:

"Remixing is raised to art status when you give new life to music, any type of music. To see potential in a boring cut, to push the

envelope all the way to different galaxies, to let your mind wander where the original intention left off - all this presumes passion

and marquees lighting up over your head as opposed to a mere lightbulb. A writer, most of the time, is a passionate reader first and a

remixer of words second. Tago-Mago does that with music. I may not like each and every track but that would be a strange and new

feeling anyway. Rarely have I heard a reinvention of music I was, or thought I was, familiar with, in such unexpected ways. His major

influence is Can, and the mixes are inspired by a variety of hip hop and electronica artists."



http://eashfa.wordpress.com/2007/02/24/pusherman-tago-mago/