21.11.06

Remix Me. I'm Going In...#3: Percee P

(Percee P @ The Fire, 12/7/06, by Ryan Briggs)

Despite having written loads about hip hop fairly recently, I still have no idea what I'm talking about, for the most part. So it's with complete naiveté and my apologies that I present Percee P.
His rap over A Joy is one of the highlights of Four Tet's album, and it's been around a while - I think I first heard it on Comfort Music or Foewheel, and it's kind of stuck around in my head since then. He's apparently considered an old-skool rapper, which to my mind is a good thing: I had a great laugh doing the Message compilation, so it's all good. And listening to the few tracks I can find online, I guess I can only agree with that: Music.Download, my saviour a couple of times before, throws up a couple of songs, Bee Eye and Lung Collapsing Lyrics.

Now, the details: Percee P, while an old-skool artist has not actually released an album of his own to date, although it's on the way. According to this scarily comprehensive discography, John Percy Simon's recorded debut was back in 1988 and he's been known since for his wide range of collaborations which have kept him going, of which Four Tet is just the latest. Of the ones I'm familiar with, these include Jurassic 5, Kool Keith, Aesop Rock, Big Daddy Kane and DJ Shadow. Not bad going.

According to Cocaine Blunts: "aside from Big Daddy Kane, he’s the illest quote unquote fast rapper to ever touch the mic. But because he’s only recorded about 18 verses in as many years, not a lot of heads know what’s up." I can't really argue. It's kind of cool though, he seems to have made a living by selling homemade mixtapes outside a record shape in New York and doing MC battles and collaborations etc. Fair play to the fella. Now though, he's recording an album for Stones Throw (home of J Dilla, Madvillain, Koushik, Breakestra et al) recorded with Madlib, so maybe he'll get his dues yet.

Check out YCCMB podcasto numero trio for the Four Tet version. Also take a look at Smother Me from the other day - I've finally got hold of a copy of the Booth & The Bad Angel track for you.

The Music
Percee P - Lung Collapsing Lyrics ft. Pharaoh Monch
DJ Shadow - Napalm Brain/Scatter Brain
Edan - Torture Chamber ft. Percee P (Cut Chemist remix)

The 'fo
Artist: Percee P
Website:
stonesthrow.com
Recommended:
Now & Then
Label:
Stones Throw
Buy:
Amazon
More:
Hype Machine; elbo.ws
If you like this you might like:
Edan - Beauty & The Beat
Tags:
; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

No comments: