2.9.06

Cover me. I'm going in...#3


(Photo by Ergun&Aytaç'ın sayfası)

I've never really been able to get Prince. Sometimes I think I'm missing out, sometimes I think it's for the best. There's a part of me that goes around internally yelling purple rain....



purple rain! And another part of me that thinks of the more embarassing scary dwarf connotations. But, it's impossible to deny that the man has written some seriously great songs. Maybe the finest is Nothing Compares 2 U, it's quality maybe only apparent in it's Sinead O'Connor incarnation, and while that song isn't my focus today, it's worth listening. And even better, watching, as the video is integral here.


The main thrust, if you will, today is When Doves Cry, another contender for the sex-munchkin's finest song. That said, I've yet to work out exactly how the sound of screaming might even approximate the sound of doves crying, but then, who am I to argue with a man who has sold approximately a bazillion records. The man's an innovator: using textspeak years before it was fashionable, lyrics include "Dig if u will the picture Of u and I engaged in a kiss," and "Maybe Im just 2 demanding, Maybe Im just like my father, 2 bold." Sorted.

So yeah: good song: Prince is mental: again he sounds better when covered by other artists.

For the sake of balance, here is the original by Prince and the Revolution, alongside Ginuwine's r'n'b stylings. This first cover doesn't add much to the original, in fact stripping it of it's originality. I'm all for covers changing things around big time, which is why I prefer Damien Rice's version. In some ways, Rice's ubiquity makes me want to dislike him, but the truth is that 'O' is a really great album with some amazing songs, and as was discussed with soulbrotha in a recent comments section, some people actually prefer him over Jeff Buckley. Controversial, for sure, but I see what he means. This version of When Doves Cry is great, and segues fairly impressively into Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You by Led Zeppelin. Not so keen on the Ani Di Franco version, but it's here anyway.

Prince - When Doves Cry
Ginuwine - When Doves Cry
Damien Rice - When Doves Cry
Ani DiFranco - When Doves Cry

Previous Cover Me' s are here: Fearless (Pink Floyd/Low) + Many Rivers To Cross (Jimmy Cliff/Harry Nilsson); Everybody Here Wants You (Jeff Buckley/Matthew Herbert) + Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns'n'Roses/Luna)

<$>Prince/Ginuwine/Damien Rice/Ani DiFranco<$>

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ;

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard "When U Were Mine" by Crooked Fingers? You can download it from Epitonic.com.

Anonymous said...

There is also a beautiful cover of "When doves cry" (live) by My Brightest Diamond... thanks for these !

Quanta said...

Maria McKee has also done a better than expected version of When You Were Mine.

The Yousendit limit for the Damien Rice cover has been reached, could you pass it my way please?

Pince is one of these artists I think is generally uncoverable for some reason, although to hear him sings his own songs that other artists did first is often weird.

Unknown said...

any chance you could repost the damien rice version? I have another live version but this one is a thousand times better. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Can I second the request for reposting the Damien Rice version? Found it via Hype Machine, and wow, is it gorgeous.